Sausage and saucisson (dry-cured sausage) are prepared with trimmings (scraps of meat and fat from different cuts, including the leg, shoulder, loin and belly).
Did you know?
- Breakfast-style, Italian, merguez, hot dog, Bologna, mortadella and Rosette de Lyon are just a few of the fresh, smoked and aged sausages and saucissons that are available.
- Sausages made with a pork casing have a curved shape.
- Dry-cured sausages owe their unique taste to fermentation. They are extremely popular as hors d’oeuvres or sides. For example, a few strips of chorizo can transform a cabbage soup, stuffed mushrooms or a spinach salad.
- In Quebec, many artisanal producers create an impressive variety of sausages, expertly combining flavours and textures.
- Sausages are very popular in Quebec. You can easily find a wide variety of local sausages at your grocery store or butcher shop.