This recipe is for experts
Pig’s Tail & Pistachio Baklava
Pig tails ingredients
Honey butter Ingredients
On the stove
Pig tails preparation
- In a pot, bring water, salt, thyme and roasted spices to a boil. Allow aromas to infuse over low heat for a few minutes.
- Over medium heat, add pig tails and continue cooking for 2 hours and 30 minutes. The tails must be thoroughly cooked and tender to the touch.
- Remove and allow tails to cool for a few minutes.
- Using your hands, pull away the skin and meat from the tails and debone.
- Using a food processor, finely chop the meat and skin.
Honey butter preparation
- In a small saucepan set over low heat, melt butter and honey and set aside.
- In another small saucepan set over low heat, heat orange blossom water, honey and salt for a few minutes while stirring. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan set over low heat, heat ground pork tails, honey, orange blossom water, pistachios and salt for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 150 °C (300 °F).
Assembling the baklava
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, place a half sheet of phyllo dough and brush generously with honey butter. Repeat for the other three sheets. Using a spatula, gently spread ⅓ of the baklava filling.
- Stack and alternate 3 layers of baklava between 4 phyllo dough sheets. Using a chef’s knife, slice baklava without separating.
- Bake baklava in oven for 2 hours or until golden brown.
- After cooking, allow baklava to dry uncovered and at room temperature for 7 hours.
- To finish, brush with prepared topping syrup and sprinkle with crushed pistachios.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 398 calories
- 16 g proteins
- 18 g fat
- 45 g carbohydrates
- 1 g fibre
- 38 g sugar
- 533 mg sodium