This recipe is easy
Decadent Christmas Log with Bacon & Strawberries
In The Oven
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cake. In a small bowl, combine flour and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar, vanilla and zest for at least 2 minutes (the time it takes to blanch the egg yolks). Stir in flour mixture. Then, using a spatula, fold in egg whites until smooth. Spread on sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Spread a clean dish towel on a work surface and sprinkle with sugar. Once out of the oven, flip cake onto the dish towel. Carefully remove parchment paper. Using the dish towel, roll cake over itself. Allow to cool completely, covered with the dish towel.
- Prepare the mascarpone cream. In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients except strawberry purée and whip to form a light cream mixture. Set aside a quarter of this cream to ice the top of the log. Add the strawberry purée to the remaining mascarpone cream using a spatula.
- Unroll the cooled cake and spread the mascarpone cream and strawberry purée mixture over the entire surface. Sprinkle with half the bacon. Roll the cake and arrange on a serving dish. Slice ends at an angle. Using a spatula, ice the rolled cake with reserved mascarpone cream. Sprinkle the top with pistachios and remaining bacon.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 807 calories
- 17 g proteins
- 55 g fat
- 63 g carbohydrates
- 2 g fibre
- 40 g sugar
- 412 mg sodium