This recipe is easy
Herb and Bacon Meatballs
Spicy herb sauce ingredients
Shallot and bacon dip ingredients (an 80s classic)
In The Oven
- Prepare the meatballs. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon to paper towels to absorb the grease. Chop finely. Set aside. Drain excess fat from skillet, leaving 15 mL (1 tbsp.).
- In the same skillet, add 15 mL (1 tbsp.) oil and the shallots. Cook over medium-low heat for 7–8 minutes or until shallots begin to caramelize, stirring with a wooden spoon. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, pour milk over breadcrumbs and let absorb for about 5 minutes. Add ground pork, half the herbs, half the cooked bacon, half the caramelized shallots and the remaining meatball ingredients. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, shape meat mixture into meatballs using approximately 15 mL (1 tbsp.) for each. Place meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet, making sure they don’t touch. Brush meatballs with remaining oil.
- Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to broil.
- Broil for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce and the dip by combining the ingredients for each in separate bowls. For the dip, add remaining bacon and shallots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread remaining herbs on a plate. Serve with toothpicks. Dip meatballs in the sauce of your choice and then dip in the fresh herbs. Serve with raw veggies.
Nutritional value (per serving, with sauce and dip)
- 363 calories
- 21 g of protein
- 25 g of fat
- 15 g of carbohydrates
- 2 g of sugar
- 675 mg of sodium