This recipe is very easy
Chocolate Mousse with Maple Bacon
Maple bacon ingredients
In The Oven
Maple bacon preparation
- Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven-safe cooling rack on it.
- Place bacon slices in a single layer on the rack.
- In a small bowl, mix maple syrup and maple sugar. Brush tops of bacon slices with maple mixture. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until bacon is browned, turning halfway through and basting several times with remaining syrup. Gently remove bacon from rack. Set aside on a plate. Let cool.
- Chop bacon, reserving about 2 slices for garnish.
- In a double boiler set over medium-low heat, melt chocolate with butter and 60 mL (¼ cup) cream, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks with 45 mL (3 tbsp.) maple sugar for about 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Using a spatula, gently fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with remaining maple sugar until medium peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk remaining cream until medium peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold egg whites, whipped cream and chopped bacon into chocolate mixture. Divide into verrine serving dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1–2 hours.
- Garnish with reserved bacon pieces. You can also sprinkle with cocoa powder right before serving, if desired.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 525 calories
- 8 g of protein
- 39 g of fat
- 36 g of carbohydrates
- 3 g of fibre
- 27 g of sugar
- 251 mg of sodium