This recipe is intermediate
Ham Knuckle and Red Cabbage Nems with Balsamic Vinegar Caramel Sauce
Dry Marinade Ingredients
Red Cabbage Ingredients
Balsamic Vinegar Caramel Ingredients
Pour les conserver, mettre les nems à congeler avant de les frire.
- Preheat oven to 160 °C (325 °F).
- Liberally season ham knuckle on all sides. In a roasting pan, add aromatics and ham knuckle.
- Vigorously rub ham knuckle with ground spices and thyme.
- Cover and bake for 5 hours. Remove meat from oven and let cool.
- Deglaze meat juices in roasting pan over high heat by adding 250 mL (1 cup) water and scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Filter through a strainer to recover cooking juices. Using your hands, shred meat and set aside in a bowl with cooking juices.
- In a pot, bring water, vinegar, cabbage and sugar to a boil. Cover and cook cabbage over low heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Strain cabbage to recover cooking liquid and set aside.
Balsamic Vinegar Caramel
- In a pot, bring cabbage cooking liquid and shallots to a boil. Reduce until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add balsamic vinegar and reduce by one third. Add olive oil and use a hand blender to puree until smooth and creamy.
Roll the Nems
- Trim the edges off each sheet of brick pastry to form squares. Cut each square in half to make two rectangles.
- Brush pastry rectangles with egg yolk.
- Place 30 mL (2 tbsp.) filling at the bottom of each rectangle.
- Fold sheet once over filling, then fold in sides and finish rolling.
- Preheat deep fryer to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Fry nems until golden and crispy, then remove with a skimmer and place on paper towel. Season with salt.
- Serve nems with balsamic vinegar caramel sauce.
Nutritional value (per nem)
- 166 calories
- 9 g proteins
- 5 g fat
- 20 g carbohydrates
- 1 g fibre
- 6 g sugar
- 439 mg sodium