This recipe is intermediate
Pork Liver Parfait with Nut Crunch
Maple nut crunch ingredients
Herb butter ingredients
- Using a spatula, combine butter and herbs in a bowl. Season and set aside.
- Place liver in a bowl in the sink and let cold water run over it for about 10 minutes to flush out impurities. Cut into large pieces.
- In a pot, bring port and whisky to a boil. Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme and shallot, and reduce over low heat until mixture has thickened to a syrupy texture. Strain with a sieve and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine liver pieces, eggs, butter and port-whisky mixture. Cover and let stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 155 °C (310 °F).
- Use a food processor to puree liver mixture until smooth. Press liver mixture through a strainer with a spatula to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Line a lightly moistened terrine mould with plastic wrap.
- Pour liver puree into the mould, gently fold plastic wrap over puree and cover. Place mould into a baking dish and fill the dish three-quarters full with water.Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove from oven and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Unmould terrine, using a chef’s knife to trim sides so they are smooth.
- Flip terrine over onto a piece of plastic wrap. Using a spatula, coat all sides with herb butter. Wrap parfait with plastic wrap and refrigerate until butter sets.
- When ready to serve, remove plastic wrap. Slice with a hot knife. Serve on croutons with nut crunch.
Maple Nut Crunch Preparation
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In a bowl, combine nuts and maple syrup. Spread out nuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Bake for 10 minutes or until nuts are golden.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 569 calories
- 12 g proteins
- 10 g carbohydrates
- 52 g fat
- 2 g fibre
- 5 g sugar
- 64 mg sodium