This recipe is intermediate
Pork Belly Confit with Maple Crust
Maple crust ingredients
In The Oven
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 110 °C (225 °F).
- In a bowl, combine pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf, vanilla, star anise, thyme and salt.
- Using your hands, coat pork belly with spice rub. Fold belly in half.
- In a large casserole, place diced carrot, onion and celery as well as garlic, thyme and rosemary on the bottom, followed by the belly. Add broth until belly is half submerged.
- Seal with aluminum foil and bake for 12 hours.
- After cooking, remove belly from cooking juice and squeeze it into a dish slightly smaller in size. Cover with plastic wrap and add weight to press. Refrigerate overnight.
- Reserve cooking liquid, remove thyme, rosemary and bay leaf and reduce over medium heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend cooking liquid, add 1 cup of veal stock and continue cooking for 2–3 minutes to finish the sauce. Season to taste. Keep warm.
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Remove belly from fridge and slice into rectangles while cold.
- Place pork belly rectangles on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix Parmesan, maple sugar or flakes and Dijon mustard.
- Cover baked pork belly rectangles with this mixture and bake for 2 minutes to form a crust.
- Serve pork belly rectangles with a light drizzle of sauce around them.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 437 calories
- 34 g proteins
- 30 g fat
- 5 g carbohydrates
- 1 g fibre
- 2 g sugar
- 482 mg sodium