This recipe is intermediate
Stuffed Pork Loin and Onion Compote
Onion compote ingredients
In The Oven
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven, set to convection, to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Use a long knife to cut a pocket in the centre of the loin, from one end to the other, for stuffing.
- In a bowl, combine pecans, shallots, apricots, garlic, oregano and cheddar.
- Use your fingers to stuff as much of this mixture as possible into the pork loin.
- On a work surface, arrange bacon slices so they overlap slightly.
- Lay out pork loin on one end of the bacon slices, then roll to wrap the loin in bacon.
- Place loin in a roasting pan and bake for 45–60 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the meat reads 71 °C (160 °F).
- If the bacon has not completely browned, continue cooking for a few minutes on broil.
- Meanwhile, in a hot skillet, sauté onions in butter for 5 minutes.Deglaze with whisky. Add soy sauce, garlic, thyme and maple syrup, then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Remove loin from oven, wrap in foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Onion compote can be served as is or as a creamy sauce made with 35% cream.
- 12. Serve pork with onion compote, mashed potatoes and green beans.
Nutritional value (per portion)
- 661 calories
- 44 g proteins
- 41 g fat
- 25 g carbohydrates
- 3 g fibre
- 15 g sugar
- 490 mg sodium