This recipe is easy
Asian-Style Dan Dan Noodles
Homemade chili oil ingredients
On the stove
- In a wok or large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat oil and sauté pork for about 4–5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Add hoisin sauce, ginger, Szechuan pepper and garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook noodles according to package directions. Add bok choy 1 minute before cooking is completed. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Reserve 125 mL (½ cup) cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients. Add reserved noodle water and mix well.
- Divide noodles and vegetables into 4 large bowls and pour in sauce. Add pork to bowls, covering only half the noodles. Top with peanuts and green onions. Serve.
Chili oil preparation
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- In a small skillet set over medium heat, sauté cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, Szechuan pepper and bay leaf, shaking skillet constantly for about 2 minutes or until the spices begin to release their aroma. Pour into a large heatproof bowl. Add the crushed chili peppers and salt and gently pour in the hot oil. Beware of splashing.
- Pour into an airtight jar. Leave to infuse for a few days before using. The oil keeps for months in the refrigerator.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 896 calories
- 45 g of protein
- 38 g of fat
- 97 g of carbohydrates
- 8 g of fibre
- 8 g of sugar
- 1426 mg of sodium