This recipe is intermediate
In The Oven
- Heat half the oil in a large pan set over medium-high heat and brown meat on each side.
- Add broth, vinegar and 45 mL (3 tbsp.) soy sauce. Cover and gently simmer for about 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove hocks from cooking juices and let cool. Store cooking juices for future use (soups, broths, etc.). Shred meat. simmer for 3 hours until meat is very tender.
- In a large bowl, mix pork with soy sauce and remaining ingredients, except for gyoza wrappers. Refrigerate as needed.
- Working in batches, arrange 4 to 6 gyoza wrappers on a work surface. Place 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of filling in the centre of each wrapper. Moisten the edges with water. Fold the wrapper in two to form a half-moon, pinching the edges to seal. Place gyoza on a baking sheet or large plate and cover with a cloth or plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. Refrigerate as needed.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook gyoza for 2 minutes. Drain and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat and brown gyoza for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm with gyoza sauce. If desired, serve with a daikon salad.
Daikon Salad Preparation
- In a large bowl, dissolve 30 g (1 oz.) sugar and 2.5 mL (½ tsp.) salt in 60 mL (¼ cup) rice vinegar.
- Add 200 g (7 oz.) peeled and julienned carrots and 200 g (7 oz.) peeled and julienned daikon radish, 4 chopped shiso leaves, 5 mL (1 tsp.) toasted sesame seeds (white or black) and the zest of 1 lemon. Serve.
Nutritional value (per serving of 4 dumplings)
- 363 calories
- 23 g of proteins
- 20 g of fat
- 27 g of carbohydrates
- 1 g of fibre
- 6 g of sugar
- 1228 mg of sodium