This recipe is intermediate
Pork Jowl Casseroles with Horseradish & White Wine
Ingredients for the aromatic garnish
Ingredients for the horseradish crumble
- In a pot, bring water, white wine and pork jowls to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, skimming off any impurities. Add aromatics and continue cooking for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- When done, remove meat and use a strainer to filter cooking broth to remove herbs. Chill meat in cooking broth for 12 hours in the fridge.
- In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, cheese and horseradish with a spatula and season to taste.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a saucepan, bring 500 mL (2 cups) of cooking broth and cream to a boil. Using a measuring cup, remove 100 mL (⅖ cup) of warm mixture and combine with cornstarch in a separate bowl. Whisk dissolved cornstarch into the saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking until sauce thickens. Add chunks of pork jowls with some of the fat removed and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Place casseroles on an oven-safe sheet, and fill two thirds with meat and sauce. Sprinkle with horseradish crumble.
- Broil casseroles in oven for a few seconds and serve.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 734 calories
- 58 g proteins
- 50 g fat
- 10 g carbohydrates
- 0 g fibre
- 2 g sugar
- 358 mg sodium