This recipe is very easy
Italian-Style Meatball soup
In The Oven
- Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 230 °C (450 °F).
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients, except oil. Season generously. Using your hands, shape meatballs using about 5 mL (1 tsp.) of the meat mixture for each. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Oil meatballs and bake for about 10 minutes until lightly cooked and golden. Transfer to a paper towel and let cool. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, heat oil and sauté onion, garlic, oregano and thyme for 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery, zucchini and tomato, and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add broth, water, tomato paste and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add meatballs and pasta. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes or until pasta is cooked. Add Swiss chard and cook for another 5 minutes. Season to taste. Serve with Parmesan and country bread, if desired.
- For an even healthier soup, add 250 mL (1 cup) of vegetables.
Nutritional value (per portion)
- 404 calories
- 26 g proteins
- 22 g fat
- 27 g carbohydrates
- 3 g fibre
- 7 g sugar
- 1231 mg sodium