This recipe is easy
Pork Osso Buco Puttanesca
In The Oven
- Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- On a work surface, salt the pork shanks. In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, heat the oil and brown shanks on each side. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same saucepan, brown garlic and onion for about 5 minutes, adding oil as needed. Set aside with pork.
- In the same saucepan, cook tomato paste for 1 minute and deglaze with red wine. Scrape the bottom of the saucepan and reduce until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add tomato juice and water and bring to a boil. Add pork, thyme, and pepper flakes and cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 120 °C (250 °F) and continue cooking about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Carefully remove braised pork and place on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Strain broth. Refrigerate overnight.
- The following day, place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Skim fat from the cooking broth and reduce by half in a large pot. Add the braised pork. Reheat in the oven for about 15 minutes. If necessary, return to stovetop and continue reducing until cooking juice glazes the meat.
- Prepare the polenta. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, water, cream and garlic. Bring to a boil. Remove the garlic clove and whisk in cornmeal. Once cornmeal is well incorporated with the liquid, cook over very low heat for about 12 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the Valbert cheese and butter. (Although polenta is best when prepared at the last minute, it can also be reheated in the microwave.)
- Prepare the garnish. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper (puttanesca should be quite aromatic). Add oil and mix well. Refrigerate as needed.
- Divide creamy polenta into shallow bowls. Top with braised pork and cover with remaining sauce. Garnish with puttanesca and a drizzle of olive oil.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 1034 calories
- 49 g proteins
- 73 g fat
- 42 g carbohydrates
- 5 g fibre
- 13 g sugar
- 1490 mg sodium