This recipe is easy
Bacon & Pea Risotto
On the stove
- In a large ungreased skillet, cook bacon slices until crisp. Set aside on a dish lined with paper towel. Chop bacon slices into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, parboil fresh peas in salted water for 8 minutes. Drain and plunge peas in an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain. For frozen peas, this step is not necessary.
- In a saucepan, bring broth and garlic to a boil. Keep warm.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil and soften shallot and thyme. Add rice and continue cooking over high heat, stirring with a spatula, until rice becomes translucent and coated with the fat (this step is also referred to as “toasting the rice”). Moisten with wine and reduce to dry.
- Reduce heat to medium and gradually add 250 mL (1 cup) of hot broth to rice at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is completely absorbed after each addition. The rice will be cooked when it is al dente (still firm to the bite). Tip: Starting with the third cup of broth, taste risotto regularly to ensure you get the perfect texture. It may not be necessary to use all the broth.
- When done, remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan, butter and lemon juice. Add bacon and peas. Stir to combine and heat. Season to taste.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 461 calories
- 14 g proteins
- 17 g fat
- 49 g carbohydrates
- 3 g fibre
- 3 g sugar
- 1052 mg sodium