This recipe is easy
Osso Buco with Bacon, Dates & Pearl Onions
In The Oven
- Place the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- In a large baking dish, lay out the parsnip slices in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pan over high heat, cook the bacon for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Set aside on a plate. Reserve the grease in the pan.
- Place the hock slices on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Coat with flour and shake to remove any excess.
- In the large pan used for the bacon, cook the hocks on for 2–3 minutes on each side. Place the hocks onto the parsnip slices. Set aside.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, cook the onions, dates, shallots, and garlic for about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and add the broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the hock slices and add the herbs. Cover and bake for 1.5–2 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve and sprinkle with bacon.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 634 calories
- 50 g proteins
- 19 g fat
- 66 g carbohydrates
- 8 g fibre
- 36 g sugar
- 712 mg sodium