This recipe is intermediate
Bacon & Vanilla Ice Cream with Grilled Spiced Peaches
Ice cream ingredients
Spiced peach ingredients
On the stove
Ice cream preparation
- Brown bacon in a heated ungreased skillet. Set aside. Discard fat.
- Return bacon to skillet. Deglaze with raspberry vinegar and reduce. Finely chop grilled bacon and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring cream, milk and a pinch of salt to a boil.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, then add sugar and vanilla bean scrapings. Whisk for at least 2 minutes, which is the time required to blanch the egg yolks.
- Gradually whisk in one third of the boiling liquid to the blanched eggs and return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook cream over low heat while stirring constantly with a spatula. Remove custard from heat as soon as it reaches approximately 82 °C (180 °F). At this point, the thin foam film that formed should disappear and take on a creamy texture.
- Pour cream into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cool quickly in an ice box and then refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours.
- Add bacon to cream and place in ice cream maker. Set aside in freezer until ready to serve.
Spiced peaches preparation
- In a mortar, crush cloves and cinnamon. Add ginger and cookies. Crush to combine.
- Pour mixture from mortar into a bowl. Add honey, pistachios, orange zest and butter. Combine with a spatula.
- Place the hollow side of the peaches on a barbecue heated to 150 °C (300 °F), close lid and grill for 2 minutes. Turn peaches, fill hollow part with prepared mixture, close barbecue lid, reduce heat to minimum and grill for 5 minutes.
- Serve with bacon & vanilla ice cream.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 823 calories
- 17 g protein
- 60 g fat
- 57 g carbohydrates
- 3 g fibre
- 48 g sugar
- 485 mg sodium