This recipe is easy
Osso buco with Olives, Lemon & Fennel
In The Oven
- Place the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- Place the hock slices on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Coat with flour and shake to remove any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook the hocks for 2–3 minutes on each side. Set aside in an oven-safe dish.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, cook the fennel quarters for about 2 minutes. Add oil as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Lay in the baking dish with the hocks.
- In the same pan, sauté the carrots, shallots, garlic, fennel seeds, and mustard for 1 minute. Deglaze with the white wine and add the thyme. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Pour the carrot mixture over the hocks and fennel, then add the broth.
- Cover and bake for about 1.5–2 hours.
- Add the olives, lemon zest and segments. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until the meat is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 595 calories
- 47 g proteins
- 32 g fat
- 27 g carbohydrates
- 7 g fibre
- 6 g sugar
- 158 mg sodium