This recipe is intermediate
Bacon and Green Pea Arancini
On the stove
- In a pot, melt ¼ of the butter and sweat green onions and thyme. Add rice and continue cooking over high heat, stirring until mixture is translucent and coated with fat (this step is referred to as “toasting the rice”).
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add wine and reduce until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Over low heat, gradually add warm stock to rice, stirring constantly and ensuring that the liquid is fully absorbed after each addition. Cook until rice is al dente (still firm when bitten). Season halfway through cooking.
- Once rice is cooked, remove from heat and add Parmesan, remaining butter and lemon juice.
- Place bacon in a cold skillet. Cook bacon over high heat until fully browned.
- Remove slices from skillet and lay on paper towel to remove excess fat.
- Chop bacon into small pieces.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, blanch peas for 8 minutes, then drain.
- In the same skillet as was used to cook bacon, sauté green onion for 2 minutes over high heat. Add garlic, then green peas. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped bacon and peas to risotto. Season to taste.
- Spread risotto on a tray or platter. Let cool and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat deep fryer oil to maximum.
- Take 3 bowls and add flour to the first, beaten eggs and milk to the second, and bread crumbs to the third.
- Shape risotto into 2-cm (0.75-in.) balls, rolling each in the flour, then dipping in the milk and egg mixture, and finally coating with bread crumbs.
- Fry in oil. Serve warm.
Nutritional value (per arancini)
- 142 calories
- 6 g proteins
- 6 g fat
- 13 g carbohydrates
- 1 g fibre
- 1 g sugar
- 368 mg sodium