This recipe is intermediate
Honey-Glazed Pork Chops and Poached Pears
Ingredients for the Parsnip purée
Ingredients for the Honey glaze and poached pears
Caramelize hazelnuts if desired. In a bowl, mix 60 mL (¼ cup) hazelnuts with 60 mL (¼ cup) maple syrup or honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 190 °C (375 °F) for 4–5 minutes, or until hazelnuts are caramelized. Flip halfway through cooking. Season with fleur de sel and let cool. Crush.
On the stove
Parsnip purée preparation
- In a small saucepan, cover parsnips with water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet set over medium heat, heat butter until golden brown. Pour over parsnips and purée until smooth using a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little water as needed. For a smoother consistency, strain purée. Keep warm.
- In a small skillet set over medium heat, cook honey until it begins to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Deglaze with apple cider vinegar and add pears. Simmer for about 2 minutes. Drain pears and transfer to a small bowl. Add butter to sauce and set aside.
Pork chop preparation
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat oil. Fry whole sage leaves for about 30 seconds, or until crisp but still green. Transfer leaves to a paper towel. Leave remaining oil in skillet.
- Season chops with salt and pepper. In the same skillet set over medium-high heat, add butter to oil and brown chops for 4–5 minutes on each side. Reduce heat if necessary. Add the honey glaze and cook, coating the chops until they are cooked and well glazed. Transfer meat to a baking sheet and let rest for 5 minutes Transfer meat to a baking sheet and tent with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix celery and parsley. Divide parsnip purée between plates. Add chops and drizzle with sauce. Top with diced pears, celery, hazelnuts and bacon. Garnish with sage leaves, to taste. Season with fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 956 calories
- 31 g of protein
- 57 g of fat
- 87 g dof carbohydrates
- 7 g of fibre
- 64 g of sugar
- 639 mg of sodium