This recipe is very easy
General Tao Pork
Deep fry option – Extra ingredients
On the stove
Preparation without frying
- In a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil and let simmer over low heat for 2 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat, heat 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of oil and sauté the bell pepper for 3–4 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and garlic powder. Season the pork cubes with salt and pepper and add to the cornstarch mixture. Toss to coat and shake to remove any excess.
- In the same non-stick pan over high heat, heat the remaining oil. Sear the pork cubes for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Add the sauce and bell peppers to the pan. Let simmer for 1 minute until pork cubes are coated in sauce. Season to taste.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds.
Deep frying preparation
- Preheat the deep fryer to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine 60 mL (¼ cup) of cornstarch and the garlic powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, remaining cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the egg and water until smooth.
- Season the pork cubes with salt and pepper and add to the cornstarch mixture. Toss to coat and shake to remove any excess.
- Transfer the cubes to the second mixture and toss to coat.
- Fry one third of the cubes at a time for about 4 minutes or until the meat is cooked and golden. Take care to separate the cubes when placing them in the fryer. Set aside on a dish lined with a sheet of paper towel. Continue frying the remaining meat.
- In the meantime, combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a wok over medium heat, heat 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of oil and sauté the bell pepper for 2–3 minutes. Add the sauce and bring to a boil while stirring. Simmer gently for approximately 2 minutes or until the sauce takes on a syrupy texture.
- Place the fried pork cubes in the sauce and heat until the cubes are coated in sauce.
- When ready to serve, top with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with jasmine rice and your choice of a steamed green veggie.
Nutritional value (per serving)
- 418 calories
- 25 g proteins
- 18 g fat
- 40 g carbohydrates
- 2 g fibre
- 25 g sugar
- 712 mg sodium